The HCS journey began when Reuben and Patty Petersheim moved to Hampden in 2007 with a vision to start a Christian school. Reuben taught Social Studies in Baltimore City Public Schools for four years before beginning Hampden Christian School in 2011 in a yellow house on Falls Rd. The school grew rapidly, and four years later moved into the present building at 1234 W 36th St. Currently the school has around 65 students.
The school operates under Urban Mennonite Ministries, a nonprofit with the mission of operating Christian schools in urban areas. We are affiliated with Hampden Mennonite Church, which meets in our auditorium.
Above, listen to a segment about us featured on WYPR “Out of the Blocks.”